Tuesday, December 07, 2004

A NEW RESPECTFULNESS

A new respectfulness is here.
You will not read about it in the newspapers, journals, or in trendy magazines-- but, a new respectfulness has arrived.
It involves respect for diversity in thought, expression, language, behavior, dress, gesture, religion, gender, culture, political and social forms, mannerisms, art, aesthetics-- and yes, this respectfulness even tolerates ambiguity.
Mind you, the new respectfulness may not have yet come to the fore in public consciousness; it may not have upstaged pre-emptive warfare, censorship, or the erosion of human liberties; still, the seed has been planted...and come a new year, mutual respect may be popping up all over.

1 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Sarah Grimke said...

I sure hope so. I'm waiting for it. After all, isn't this supposed to be the Age of Enlightenment? If you truly see this new respectfulness, I'm profoundly relieved.

Personally, I'm distraught at what I see, and feel as though I'm shouting against the wind. I'm ready for a little reassurance that there is still good in this country, and that all our founding fathers dared to dream of is still alive and well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home