Sunday, June 18, 2006

Everchanging Scene

What I want to know is, where does all this 'virtual living' lead?

In time will we have 'virtual' spouses, children, extended families, tribal networks, and so on?

Is this 'virtual universe' more compelling than the so-called 'real world'...or, are my shortcomings in the 'real world' so pronounced that I seek refuge and sanctuary in a world of 'virtual' relationship?

My propensity to 'virtualize' has much to do with 'control issues', I believe.

I feel more in control of how I project myself in the virtual world than I do in mundane, 'getting and spending' social interaction.

And my imagination gets to run free...


IF YOU ARE FEELING BLUER
WHEN YOU WISH TO BE FEELING NEWER,
LIE ON YOUR BACK, LOOK AT THE SKY
AND ENTER THE WORLD OF THE CUMULI...

IN PASSING CLOUD PUFFS LOSE YOURSELF;
FIND A SEAHORSE, A DRAGON OR ELF;
IN THE CHANGING CLOUD FORM SEE YOUR DREAM:
YOUR 'VIRTUAL' WORLD, EVERCHANGING SCENE...

5 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I was just hearing about an online game/forum called Second Life, where exactly that sort of thing is happening. There is now a blending between the virtual economy of Second Life and the real economy, as people will sell things online in real dollars. It sort of makes my head explode.

But in terms of say, blogging, I think the appeal is that it is so easy to find like-minded people on the blogs with which to build a community.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger chuck said...

Barbara- As you seem to suggest, maybe the distinction between 'real' and 'virtual' is rather artificial.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I think the distinction is getting more blurred all the time. And I do think that most of us live inside our heads for a large part of our lives anyway, so with the advent of technology, I think that's only natural.

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger LJ said...

I don't know where all this cyber-living goes.
I understand they ("they") are now finging 10 and 11 year-olds who do not know how to interact with each other in person.
On the proverbial other hand...it allows wider contact of a sort. And it allows, within limits if you are a person with some degree of ethics, the freedom to drop the outward...
What do you do?
How do you look?
Who do you know?
What do you drive?
And just be yourself...

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger chuck said...

LJ:
I BELIEVE YOU ARE RIGHT THAT "CYBER-LIVING" ALLOWS FOR NEW OPPORTUNITIES FOR EXPRESSION; IT PROVIDES A NEW FORUM FOR "COMMUNITY"; AND "THE HALCYON DAYS GONE BY" ARE JUST THAT: GONE BY.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home