Friday, June 23, 2006

The LOSING YOURSELF Feeling

When I want to "lose myself" I go swimming...

Lately, this has involved either going to the SMITH RIVER for a brisk swim across the river or for an ocean swim in the surf at South Beach, south of town.

Yesterday I swam at both places...and did some sand drawing, too.

I calligraphed "HOME" in 15-foot letters in the sand at the beach, using the neck of a discarded beer bottle as my calligraphy tool.

The root meaning of ART (ars, artis- Latin) is "to do, to make"...so I was at the beach "DOING my thing" and losing myself in the process.

"Forgetting me" or "losing myself" feels so right sometimes.

What do you do to lose yourself?

3 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

I find I can lose myself pretty easily in a lot of things - perhaps I have anti-ADHD - music, books, gardening, exercising. When I was little, I remember spending long periods of time gazing at the fake wood knots in the wood panelling and seeing faces and scenes in them.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger chuck said...

Leazwell: "Playing in the band" sounds cool...

Playing harmonica can get me out of myself and into the world of sound.

Your photo journals are awesome!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Barbara Bruederlin said...

Hey, Blogger ate my comment!

I meant to say that I lose myself all too frequently - in music, reading, gardening, and sometimes even exercising (but probably not often enough).

I remember when I was young, staring at the fake knot holes in the panelling for ages, imagining faces and scenes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home