Thursday, August 24, 2006

Do Not Say: "LOOK MA, NO HANDS!"

L J has a new webpage @
http://thehindenburgeffect.blogspot.com
Her blogs are always interesting or intriguing... sometimes shocking and hilarious.
She suggested that I write something, so here goes...




Skimming Life's surface,
Flapping my wings,
Treading water, treading air,
Some kind of bird am I.

Off the water,
Quasi-aloft,
Pumping my wings for altitude.
I need altitude- there...Here,
Now I've got it!

Keep flapping, Chuck:
Don't stop. Don't look down.
You are aloft, ALIVE, avian.
Just remember...do not say:
"Look Ma- No Hands!"



5 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

"Keep flapping, chuck"--a lifetime's worth of wisdom in that bit of advice. I try to tell myself the same thing--or a variation thereof--on a regular basis.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger chuck said...

To work- that is, to function correctly- often entails labor; and labor is what we usually think of, when we, in commonplace manner, use this term, work.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger LJ said...

Thank you darlin'! A big smile for this one from another semi-flight-capable bird. Funny...I've been listening to this old Tom Petty song over and over lately..so our metaphors are in-synch.

"Well I started out down a dirty road/
Started out all alone/
And the sun went down, as I crossed the hill/
And the town lit up, the world got still/

I'm learning to fly but I ain't got wings/
Coming down is the hardest thing'

Well the good ol' days, may not return/
And the rocks might melt & the sea may burn/

I'm learning to fly...

Well some say life will you down,
break your heart, steal your crown/
So I've started out, for God knows where/
I guess I'll know when I get there/

I'm learning to fly, around the clouds/
But what goes up must come down/

I'm learning to fly..."

-from "Into the Great Wide Open"

Thanks for the plug and the poem!

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger chuck said...

And thank you for the Tom Petty lyrics, LJ...puts me in the mood for 'twangy tunes'...and ridin' in the car.

Patry...thanks for the "keep on flappin'" sentiment...it is a variation on Mr. Natural's wisdom in the old comic strip:
"KEEP ON TRUCKIN'!"

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poem, Chuck. It reminds me of a dream I used to have from time to time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home